This week, I had coffee with a valued friend, and member of St John’s. In the context of all that has been happening within our community, the conversation soon turned to the challenges we face – a seemingly relentless targeting by criminals, the changing face of the community, our budget deficit, staff cuts …
As we commiserated together, we realised how overwhelming all this can feel - how hopeless our situation might appear, and how that might lead us to think that “there is nothing I can do”, “perhaps I should be looking for another, more secure, place to worship?” I was very grateful, therefore, for my friend’s wisdom in broadening our vision, to think also of the very many great things that we stand for, and that continue to be part of our life and ministry – mission initiatives that care both for our own community and for others - Loaves and Fishes, the Promised Land Crèche, the Caring Fund, Counselling and Pastoral Care; heartfelt worship that caters for a variety of styles and tastes; Sunday Schools; uniformed and non-uniformed youth ministries; mens’ and womens’ groups; teaching ….
At the moment, the leaders of St John’s are working very hard, to develop plans to get us through the challenges of this year, and into the future. But the Christian community is not one in which “everything is up to the leaders”. We have all been given the gift of God’s Spirit, we are all members of the Body of Christ, and we are all gifted with talents, abilities, insights, and experiences which, if pooled together, can make us enormously strong. Some of the suggestions we make may seem trivial, and others are extremely significant; but we won’t be able to tell one from the other, until we offer them.
Last weekend, someone handed in a Blue Slip asking the question, “What if every member at St John’s were asked to increase their giving by R 50 per month? Wouldn’t that help us out of our deficit?” And the answer must be, “Of course it would! Brilliant idea!” For those to have ears to hear, perhaps this is God’s Word to you? Another person quietly made a very substantial donation to the church funds. Another brilliant, generous, idea! Bevan helped us to come together around the Food Fair, as a Fund Raiser …
I don’t know about you, but I don’t want the mission and ministry of St John’s to be diminished, or to come to an end. It may need to change, as times have changed, and as our context changes. But I still want to be part of the exciting things that God is still doing in and through us. I want to learn more of God’s ways, and then I want to honour God by living the learning, right here. How about you?
Rod
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment