
Text: Acts 10:44-48
I confessed on sunday that I once had to admit that I was wrong. (Actually that has happened quite often, but on this occasion I REALLY thought I was right.)
I thought that parents should never argue in front of their children - that they should sort out their differences in private and present a "united front" to the kids. And then one day, as I confidently expressed my opinion on this matter, a friend (who had children of her own) asked me a question that stopped me in my tracks...
How will they ever learn to resolve conflict, if they never see you as parents arguing and resolving a difference?
That sent me back to the drawing board. And while I am sure that many conflicts should probably happen in private (for the sake of the children), I would like my children to witness elaine and I working out our differences, compromising and resolving conflict in a respectful manner.
Peter was so convinced (along with many other Christians in Jerusalem) that people needed to become familar with the Jewish customs and way of life before they could properly become Christians, and be baptised. Of course, Peter's experience at Cornelius' house changes all that. Peter had to admit that he could not stand in the way of people being baptised, who had so obviously been accepted and blessed by God, with the Holy Spirit.
This is one of the most profound works that the Holy Spirit is able to do with people - to help them to change. Even the most hard of hearts can be moved and changed, when the Holy Spirit begins to work.
No comments:
Post a Comment