ONE SMOOTH STONE BETWEEN THE EYES...
so there’s this hectic story in the Hebrew scriptures about the monster and the little boy - the underdog. And everyone’s screaming from the cheap seats…
“Come on David!!!” (even though they’re convinced he’s gonna get crunched by the muscular villian)
Ok, so most people know the outcome - a giant with one smooth stone right between the eyes.
It’s the archetype story of spiritual growth - the moment of realisation, when the truth hits you and all your “strength” and assumptions and the confidence that has propped you up is gone and you find yourself flat on your back…
It was like that the other day for me. I was in a workshop on the Enneagram and the group was being introduced to the “1″ type. Their big thing is being right. I commented that (as a "6"type) I am frustrated with 1’s in my church who are always taking a fundamentalist “right-is-right” stance. The leader of the workshop defended the 1’s a little, but as we progressed it began to dawn on me that all the 1’s in the room didn’t resemble the fundamentalists I have an issue with at all! They were all quiet, nice, cautious and respectful woman…
i went home and continued reading about the “6″ type - hoping to understand myself better - and stumbled across a statement that was my smooth stone: 6’s are the most likely to associate with fundamentalist causes.
In addition to that, the book suggested that the most common defense mechanism of the 6 type is projection. Blow me down… Here I was blaming 1’s - and their need to be “right” - of being at the root of fundamentalist conflicts in the church… and all the time I’m the fundamentalist. I think i have to own that there is a certain fundamentalist flavour to my rejection of fundamentalism…
It’s not pretty. (another reason I connect with Goliath in the story…) but at least it’s a bit more honest…
No comments:
Post a Comment