connections

This evening Elaine and I hosted 7 people at our home for supper. Siyavuya and I were the only males!!! seems males are in the distinct minority in our community... Then there was Ncebakazi who loves House music, Zodwa who was the youngest, Amanda who loves to DANCE, Nomkhita who works in marketing, Sue who was told she is a "makhulu" - which i think means she is a grandmother, and of course the outgoing Ncebakazi who has only been coming to St John's for a few months since moving to PE. We were sorry that Nosisa was not able to make it due to a test tomorrow - we hope it goes well Nosisa!

What an amazing evening. I was struck by the wonderful confidence of the young adults sitting around our dining room table. There was a wonderful atmostphere of humour and energetic conversation. Sue had a great time amongst a group more than half her age - she seemed to have no difficulty relating to the young adults at all. (so much for the generation gap!!!)

We spoke about St John's and how resistant people are to change - especially the young people!!!

And then I offered to make coffee at the end of the meal (as is our custom) and only the three white people accepted my offer. Seems black people think it's rediculous to drink coffee after a meal... :)

From where I'm looking the Week of Hospitality is already a success!

No comments:

Post a Comment