God and Money

Stepping out in faith we took on an extra pastoral staff member this year. In addition to this we have been helping two other churches in our area - one in the poorest "section" of our circuit (see the picture of Dumisani church on the right) and the other on the university campus in Summerstrand (Methssoc - see the video report we prepared for Synod this year on Methssoc below).



This has meant that despite increased giving, we are in a tight position in terms of cash flow. Over the past few months we have eaten into the little reserves we carried into the year. But now we have reached the bottom of the barrel.

I'm not sure what to do. We must pay our staff. We need to meet our obligations. We also are not carrying extra fat. The staff are motivated and hard-working.

I also know that the members of St John's have already responded to the financial trend. Giving this year has been more than last year and the statistics suggest that the amount given per member is more than last year. So the increase is not more people giving, but the same people giving more. It's hard therefore to go to the congregation and ask for more...

I do continue to believe that God will provide for St John's. That we have been looked after in the past and that we will be looked after again.

I continue to believe that what we are doing - christian community in central for the city - is a significant and wonderful thing that does not primarily rely on money, but rather people - participating - and believing in the vision and the way we are growing together.

I continue to believe that (while God doesn't make hardships come our way) every hardship will test and strengthen our faith, our resolve, our vision and our perseverance.

I write this to ask you to pray - perhaps like never before - for St John's. That where we need to learn and grow and change, that we will hear the voice of God directing. And where we are on track, that we will not be moved but that we will remain focused and courageous through the storm!

No comments:

Post a Comment