I believe that God will have the last word. But preachers of God's Word cannot claim that same authority. Communication is such a tender process. No preacher can claim to have spoken to "perfect" message. The best we can hope for is a sincere challenge to continue to search the scriptures for deeper understandings of God's Word to us all.
Last Sunday was a good example of this. I spoke about God's goodness and the need for us to have faith in God before anything else. I think I offered an important challenge to us all. but in making my point, I questioned the wisdom of placing our faith in "pills" alone, without any recognition of the many other "mysterious" factors that may bring us healing. After the service an expert in Pharmacology checked with me what I had meant. He was afraid that people - inspired by my sermon and the need to place our faith in God - might stop taking their pills! I realised that I could have (should have) spoken more clearly. My own children are on daily doses of medication to control their early signs of asthma. No-one should stop taking their medication. I was trying to emphasise the need for us all to recognise a "higher power" in the work of healing.
I am grateful that he spoke to me after the service. It gave me a chance to clarify myself. And it gave him an opportunity to reflect his concerns and what he had heard. The ensuing conversation brought greater clarity, and a growing understanding. As well as greater sensitivity on my part.
I do not believe that my sermons are the last word. I speak with great sincerity. Which means I always hope you will take me seriously! But I do not speak with the (over) confidence that I have the last word... I always hope to start an ongoing conversation - between us, between you and your friends at home group, between you and your God in prayer...
And thanks to all those people who engage me in that conversation, over coffee after the service, via email in the week, in the hall-way in the Potter's House... it enriches the sermon experience for me!
You can listen to or download the sermon here:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment