we are in deep mourning at the sudden and tragic death of Barry, our senior minister. Barry was a remarkable person - he was our spiritual leader, our mentor, our teacher, our motivator.........
words could never begin to describe the deep loss St. John's has suffered.
But our prayers, our love and support focus on Elaine, Ruben and Cate, Guy and Jeanne and Marietjie.......the pain of this devastating loss of a wonderful husband, father and son is indescribable........
Words seems so inadequate at this time...............how we will miss Barry's way with words, his ability to get to the heart of things with such deep sensitivity. No-one has remained untouched by Barry's wisdom, knowledge, humour, integrity, his energetic excitement in his teaching and his deep, deep passion for Christ.
He has gone too soon........
This Sunday, all our services (8am, 9.45am, 11am and 6pm), lead by Rev. George Irvine and Rev. Mxolisi Nyembe, will allow the congregation to express their grief about Barry's death and their thanksgiving for his remarkable and life-giving ministry.
There will also be special prayer services on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday (7 - 9 September) from 5.30pm - 6pm in the sanctuary. The Pastoral staff will be available for anyone who needs support.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
In the past 2 years working with Barry at the Potter's House he taught me so much spiritually things I did'nt realise I did not know and the Tuesday morning meetings will never be the same again. Lynn
ReplyDeleteWords cannot express the hurt and loss we feel. Barry was...(cant speak of him in past tense) He might be gone from this earth but his love, humility, teachings, wisdom and knowledge will continue to live in those that had the priviledge to know him.
ReplyDeleteYou will be greatly missed dear friend.......
Elaine, Ruben and Cate you will be in our prayers. We cannot even imagine what you are feeling. Beryl
Indeed it is very sad to lose such a wonderful friend,we will never forget Barry's words of wisdom and ecouragement to us. He trully was God sent, and now he has gone home to be with Our Father.I pray to God to shield and comfort his family with his warm hands, you are in our prayers Elaine..... Nomkhitha
ReplyDeleteI will miss our friendship and weekly lunches!!!!
ReplyDeleteI hope to still hear u2 played in the church.You touched my life and made my wedding day.
till me meet again xx slats
I'm deeply shocked by the passing of Barry, it is such a blow to our church. My thoughts are with his wife and kids.
ReplyDeleteI am going to miss you so much - for so many different reasons - you cared so much and helped me so very, very much. Besides everything else - who am I going to share my "soapboxes" with now? Shirley
ReplyDeletePlease know that prayers are being offered up from all over the world for you; I have family who worship in St John's and have, this week, put Elaine and family and the congregations of St John's in our Intercessor Prayer letter.
ReplyDeleteJean Morgan, St Michael's Aberystwyth, Wales.
Barry you brought so many gifts with you when you started leading our church four years ago. I will miss your lovely strong voice and your guitar playing. I will miss your laughter and sense of humour. I will miss your energy. I will miss your uniqueness and how comfortable you are with being just who you are. I will miss your humble invitations to change and to see things from a different point of view. I will miss your openess and frankness. I will miss your humble invitations to include everyone - regardless of race, sex, age, and yes orientation, belief, opinion. I will miss how you humbly taught us that we are all deciples, regardless of our standing in society. We have lost so much in losing you. But at the same time we must thank God for bringing you to us - even though it was for a short time. We thank you for your teachings, your sermons, your sharing of personal moments, your workshops, your music and video clips. We must thank you for englightening us and bringing us to another level. God bless you for your giftedness and for your tenacity to never give up. You have taught us many things. You have planted many little seeds in our soul. I pray that each one of us remembers these and continues to grow. Our hearts ache. We are so grateful for having shared some time with you. God bless. Rest in peace. In loving memory of you. Michele Brooke
ReplyDeleteGoodnight, Sweet Prince, and flights of angels sing thee to thy rest...
ReplyDeleteI am deeply shocked and saddened to hear about Barry. He was an amazing teacher and friend who led me back to Christ in the most gentle way. He changed my life forever. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and I am lighting a candle for him here in the Caribbean where I now live.
ReplyDeleteDyllan Mitchell
Bocas del Torro
Panama
It was so refreshing to meet someone who thought so much like me. We were never part of each other's daily lives but Barry was one of a handfull of people in my life who I consider true friends. It's been almost a week now and my heartache still feels so raw! Barry loved his family! The thought of your pain overwhelms me! Barry loved his work! My heartfelt condolences to you all!
ReplyDeleteOffloading over Burrito breakfasts will never be the same again!
Farewell friend.
M a r k
Ek groet sonder woorde
ReplyDeletewant hartseer is stom
Gerrie T
Barry, words cannot express the shock one experiences when someone is taken away so suddenly. You truley where a man of God with a heart for the lost. Your gentle spirit touched many lives. You brought about a sense of belonging. Your passion and enthusiasm made an impact on my life and I know may others. Thank you for all the fun we had, even though I was only at St Johns for such a short while, the impact of your death has been a great shock for me. My heartfelt prayers and condolences go out to Elaine and the kids, to his extended family, to the community of St Johns. May God be your rock and source of strength during this time.
ReplyDeleteSuch a loss. His musical ability and talents have left us. May God give him peace and happiness.
ReplyDeleteHave composed a free mp3 called Bye Barry which may be downloaded free from http://www.ilike.com/artist/Swayseeker
To think that Barry is no more still feels like a bad dream, but let's thank God for giving us such a wonderful gift.He will always be in our minds and hearts. From Pumla.
ReplyDelete