away

I am profoundly grateful for my long-leave, which starts tomorrow. I will be away from St John's for the months of September and October. Perhaps you are wondering what I will be doing with my leave... Mostly I will be at home - spending time with my family. I look forward to waking up on the week-end and not having anything to attend to, except family time. Maybe my family will even be able to go to church together for a change! looking forward to that... I also want to read, try and write a bit, maybe record some music for fun. I also know that Elaine has been making up a TO DO list for me so there will be some jobs around the house that will need my attention.

But mostly I'm seeing it as a time for REST. Many people don't realise how tired a person gets from working in a caring environment. When I entered the ministry I didn't think that being a pastor would be so emotionally draining. I thought caring was something you just did! But my experience is that caring for people is very tiring. Perhaps you have faced one or two bereavements over the past year. Think about your pastoral staff who have walked with many families and individuals over that time. Now don't get me wrong - it's not that I don't want to care, it's just that without rest, compassion fatigue can set in which makes a person wonder how much longer they will be able to carry on. I have been noticing the signs of compassion fatigue in myself and am conscious that this long leave will allow me time to rest and restore myself in the Grace of God - who never suffers from compassion fatigue!

I have decided to focus a lot on exercise and fitness - as a way of releasing tension and allowing myself to regain a healthy balance. So you may find me paddling in the bay - not too early in the day, parhaps mid-morning after I've dropped the kids at school. It's going to be a wonderful time for me and I look foward to returning in November with a renewed sense of purpose for my work at St John's. I have been at St John's nearly 4 years now and can honestly say I have never felt more excited about what God is doing in this community. 2010 is just around the corner and it marks the beginning of a decade that will bring many changes in PE and in Central. I want us to be right at the heart of all that growth and change, constantly offering the Jesus Way as a real and viable alternative for living well.

I know the time is going to fly by, so, see you soon!

13 comments:

  1. Really
    Essential
    Sanity
    Time
    for a
    Rather
    Extra
    Special
    Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can honestly and truly say that I met him during the last partners course and he has made a profound difference. Even if it didn't appear so on the outside. It was DEFINITELY on the inside. He managed to answer questions I've had about God and life for as long as I can remember. Even though I hardly knew him, I am absolutely speechless at his passing. I will pray for his family, and that is as much as I can do unfortunately. Know that he is with God who loves him more than any of us will ever understand. That doesn't make the hurt everyone experiences any easier though :'(

    God/Father/Papa, thank you for Barry! I'm just glad he's safe and peaceful with you...

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barry Marshall - your presence, your patience, your ability to speak to and touch the lives of all those who came in contact with you will be sorely missed by this church and the community as a whole! You without doubt made a huge difference in my life and I will be forever grateful!
    Barry, May you rest in peace with your Father in Heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barry - we will miss you so so so much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My thoughts and prayers are with Barry's family, friends and congregation. Hold them in the palm of your hand Lord and may they feel your presence, your peace and your love. Barry, you are now with the Lord in the shelter of his wings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you lord for the care, the joy, the learning and the comfort that you brought to us through your ever loyal servant - Barry - There value he added in so many peoples lives was immense and will never be forgotten.

    May he find the peace and rest in your loving arms. R.I.P Barry we will always treasure you...

    ReplyDelete
  7. My IT consultant,my cricket pal,my friend and pastor-Barry.You touched our lives in a very special way.You have left us all too soon and St Johns has lost a great servant of God.
    Dearest Elaine,mere words are not enough,but Jesus Himself speaks words of comfort when all we can do is weep.
    We miss you Barry

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dearest Elaine, Ruben and Kate, we are so deeply sorry about your loss. "With faith we secure ourselves against the storms of life, and by putting our trust in God, we don't need to understand, we just need to hold His hand".

    ReplyDelete
  9. In the short time i knew him i was truly blessed by his ministry. He had a passion for life and God and it inspired all who met him. He was a good and faithful servant and our Lord used him in many glorious ways. May his ministry go on though those of us left behind. My prayers are with his family, friends and all those who have been touched by his life.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mike and Sue Heywood3 September 2009 at 19:46

    We knew him for about two years and during that time we found he made a huge impact on the way we felt about christianity. His enthusiasm was so infectious and he will be greatly missed at St Johns by all the community. Our prayers are with his family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It makes no sense to talk about someone who was so alive, vibrant and dynamic as dead. Barry touched so many lives with his teachings, and i can't help thinking he'll be at church on Sunday, telling us about what it's like to die and go to heaven. I think his spirit will live in all of us for ever. Elaine, Ruben, Kate - may God hold you in the palm of His hand through this tragic time. My heart is breaking for you all...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Enjoy your Furlough with Jesus zoob...until we meet again

    ReplyDelete
  13. Didn't know Barry, but it is so obvious that he was a great guy who impacted so many lives for Christ, and will be leaving a huge gap.
    My heart goes out to his family, and to the church family at Havelock Street.
    May you all find comfort In our heavenly Father, and in one another as you meet together in the days to come.

    ReplyDelete