Many people have stopped going to church. They have their reasons. We can say they are lazy. And maybe they are. But if you listen to them, they will tell you about painful experiences and disappointment, or they will speak about doubts and questions that are unresolved.
I think it's a fair generalisation to say that society is fairly skeptical about the church and organised religion.
I was at a conference a few years ago where one of the speakers asked the following question: when people, who haven't been to church in a while, come back for a wedding or a baptism or just because they are searching, do we remind them of the reasons why they left in the first place?!
Has anything changed? Have we made progress? (and following on from what I wrote last week... are we moving into our shared future intentionally - on purpose?)
At that same conference another speaker asked a question that keeps me motivated. She asked: "If your church were to close it's doors today - would the community around it - other than it's members - notice that it had closed?"
These questions have shaped my priorities as a minister. Caring for the members of the church, preaching, teaching and walking with them through the painful and difficult times - that is my work. But a large part of my time, my energy and my attention goes into those two groups I have mentioned above - thinking about, caring for and reaching out to:
* those people who for some reason or other no longer come to church
* those people who live around the corner, but have never walked through our doors
I believe Jesus modeled for us a way of being community that kept the focus on those who were on the fringes - and beyond!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment