God for God's sake!

Preaching is an interesting responsibility.

On Sunday I had two people come up to me after the morning service. One person was a visitor. They were visiting because of the Baptisms. The person thanked me for the sermon, saying that she had found it very helpful and that she would "be back".

Another person, a member of the congregation, mature disciple, and person I very much like came up to me and challenged me about what I said. She felt that my sermon devalued her very real and important spirtual experience. She said I made her feel like "a second class citizen".

I preached from 1 Corinthians 13:1-3 and suggested that spiritual experience (along with knowledge, miracles and extreme sacrifice) are over-rated goals of the spiritual life if we pursue theam without a desire to love and be loved. Paul regards these things as "nothing" without Love.

How challenging to receive such absolutely opposing responses to the same message! It left me wondering whether it is possible to preach sufficiently clearly not to cause misunderstanding or offence. It also left me wondering whether preaching is something that should be left to humans to do!

What is becoming clear to me is that preaching is not the "last word" on any subject, and that preaching is valuable when it is part of a conversation - a two-sided conversation between fellow pilgrims on the journey. My hope would be that this discussion forum could become a place to extend and broaden the conversation regarding what we as preachers are saying. I long to be questioned, challenged and engaged. I know you are thinking listeners with opinions, but sometimes there is a fear to express those opinions. Let's break the silence and start talking about our deeply held convictions!!!

2 comments:

  1. Well here I go trying to do things I'v never done before! Like blogging! I also preach and not sure how to let my name come up or if it is allowed under this catagory but I find it very helpful when people tell me how they have received the message. So I agree with barry let,s make this a place whwere we can all learn and grow. And for the record I was challenged by your sermon as it made me wonder and reflect as to whether I'm motivated by love when I do things! the answer is quite scarey....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Barry and Paul is right. These things are "nothing" without Love.

    We are the children of an awesome King. Because we are human and He is Holy, we cannot fully comprehend His sacrifice and His spiritual pain @ Calvary. I believe that we need to be mindful always and aware that whatever we do, should always come from a base of love.

    ReplyDelete