Moses, his excuses, and you.

When God called Moses, Moses answered God with 5 excuses why he couldn’t do what God had called him to do.
Excuse One – The “Who Me” Excuse. (Exodus 3:11-12)

Verse 11 says, “But Moses said to God, “Who am I that I should go to Pharaoh, and that I should bring the children of Israel out of Egypt?” It was a crisis of identity.

Moses was basically saying: “I’m a nobody!” When Moses tried this deliverance thing 40 years earlier, he was neither believed nor listened to. If they did not believe Moses 40 years prior, why should they believe him now? Moses is terrified of being rejected and feeling like a failure.

How does God ANSWER Moses? I will be with you.
Do you hear yourself in this excuse: “who me Lord?”

Excuse Two – “By What Authority” (3:13-15)

Verse 13: Moses said to God, "Suppose I go to the Israelites and say to them, `The God of your fathers has sent me to you,' and they ask me, `What is his name?' Then what shall I tell them?" It was a crisis of authority.

Moses second excuse was that he didn’t have the authority to go. Of all the excuses Moses had, this one seems to be the most legitimate on the surface, because he had already tried to help his people, in his own strength, and their response was “Who made you ruler and judge over us?” So Moses was only saying that they would have the same issue they had before.
God tells him that he is going under the authority of God Himself. God told Moses it doesn’t have to do with who you are but with who I am. You and I will never have the courage to answer God’s call unless we know WHO calls us.

Excuse Three -The “What If’s” (4:1- 9)

"What if they do not believe me or listen to me and say, `The LORD did not appear to you'?"
Moses’ next excuse was that even after he told the people that God had sent him, they wouldn’t believe him. It was a faith crisis.

‘What ifs’ are zeal quenchers...they steal our passion. Moses was so concerned about what might happen, he didn’t hear what God said would happen.
God gave Moses three proofs, turning the rod into a serpent, making the hand leprous, and turning water into blood, to convince the people that Moses was in fact sent by God. He is saying to Moses that it is not his job to convince the people, only to tell them, and then God will do the convincing. Following God and serving Him always involves faith.

How do we know that God was calling Moses?
(1) The call scared him (Go where and say what?!) God was calling him out of his comfort zone.
(2) The call had a kingdom impact.

So if you sense God is calling you to do something that will further His kingdom and you’re absolutely petrified………… PRAISE THE LORD!

Excuse Four – “But Lord I Don’t Speak Well” (4:10-12)

Verse 10:Moses said to the LORD, "O Lord, I have never been eloquent, neither in the past nor since you have spoken to your servant. I am slow of speech and tongue." It was a crisis of ability.

God answers this excuse by saying: ‘Trust me Moses. I’ll help you speak and teach you what to say’. God is not looking for ability, he is looking for availability. Our perceived inadequacies are not a problem for God, He made us the way we are and simply wants us to say yes.

Excuse Five – “Send Someone Else” (4:13-17)
Verse 13:"O Lord, please send someone else to do it." Moses is simply putting his foot down and telling God, “No!” This is rebellion.
Notice God’s response: Ex. 4:14 “Then the LORD’S anger burned against Moses...” God becomes angry at our excuses. It is not because the Lord has patience for four questions but five is one too many. Moses is refusing to trust God’s answer. When Moses begs God to send someone else, he is in effect telling the Lord, “I don’t trust you.”
Not only do excuses anger God, they also cause discouragement within the body of Christ. Excuses force the few to carry the weight of the many.


Excuses keep us comfortable. Excuses keep us doing what we’ve always done – they keep us in maintenance. Obedience moves us from maintenance into mission. Nobody can do what you’re supposed to do in the kingdom of God.

Later we see a breakthrough. Moses finally responds in Obedience! Exodus 4:20: “So Moses took his wife and sons, put them on a donkey and started back to Egypt. And he took the staff of God in his hand...”

Moses ultimately did as the Lord asked. Think of the lives that he touched because of his obedience. Under Moses, thousands of Israelites eventually walked out of the land of slavery. When we walk in obedience, we too will touch the lives of those around us.


You’re gifted to serve! The call to Christ is the call to serve.
What breaks your heart?
You may discover that it breaks God’s heart too and He wants you to do something about it. What do you sense God calling you to do?

And how will you answer?

No comments:

Post a Comment