I have, for years felt that John chapter 15 is a very interesting piece of Scripture and as I have read it over the years I become aware of so many more layers, there are new depths that are waiting to be discovered....
John 15 was the reading for this week and so it was exciting to discover, yet again, a new depth in Jesus words.
I think what became very real to me is that our relationship with Jesus and bearing fruit that will last, are deeply connected, and my sense is that the work we are called to do is to bear fruit that will last- love, compassion, sharing, caring, in fact all the values that we have spent so much time looking at though this year.
Looking at Jesus life, he was so sure of His identity in God, that He was free to be faithful to the values of His Father's Kingdom. He knew His worth in His Father's Kingdom. That gave Him a freedom that we don't easily have if we are not sure of who we are in Christ and look for our identity in the multitude of stuff that the world offers us.
I think it could be helpful if we took time to discover our identity in Christ whatever that journey may ask us to embrace.
So let's deal with the fear, the guilt, the shame, the anger or perhaps we need to risk taking the next step to being involved in the community so that we can get on the road.
What is becoming clear to me is that as we begin to bear fruit that will last we begin to know more deeply who we are meant to be and when we know who we are meant to be we bear fruit that will last- these two are deeply connected.
So I write now the challenge I made verbally on Sunday-
What could change in this community and beyond if we would risk taking time to affirm in each other who we are in Christ- perhaps we can start in our small groups, and test the waters there where it is safest? ... hopefully!
I would like to know what you are thinking and feeling- let me know, post your comments...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
hello carol
ReplyDeletenice sermon!!!!!