Glory begins with Health

Yesterday was Transfiguration Sunday. Read about it in Luke 9:28-36.

The temptation I think is to see Jesus in glory - talking to Moses and Elijah - as unattainable. Jesus lives the kind of extraordinary life that only he could attain. Glory is not for us. And yet Paul writes in 2 Cor 3 seeing the glory of the Lord as though reflected in a mirror, [we] are being transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another... or as the old version puts it "from glory into glory". We have been made for Glory!!!!

Jesus doesn't reflect what us unattainable at all - precisely the opposite. He reflects what every human can attain - the glory of God. St Irenaeus put it this way: "The glory of God is a human being fully alive." Fully Alive. Free. Healthy.

Someone once asked me "three spiritual questions"...
1. Are you eating healthy?
2. How are you sleeping?
(and the one I don't like)
3. When last did you exercise?

In the journey from glory into glory, we need to start somewhere. And I think the journey starts with a committment to basic healthiness. Are we living well. Are we looking after key relationships. Are we keeping a good balance between home and work. etc...

I think that God's glory is revealed in us (we begin to glow - even shine) when we are living a healthy balanced life!

1 comment:

  1. im eating and sleeping well.pity i last ran comrades in 1982!!!!regards slats.good sermon though

    ReplyDelete