IS JESUS YOUR TRUE SHE
PHERD?
Faith. Faith in Jesus.
How do you understand that word?
I really battle to trust God in every area of my life, I’m not sure about how you feel – like Peter I will jump out of the boat and I’ll be walking on the water, as it were, and then just like Peter I hear and see the waves, take my eyes off Jesus, forget the sound of His voice and guess what happens!!!!

I find myself asking Jesus the same question that the crowds around Him in Jerusalem asked Him.
Read John 10 v 24 …….. 28.
One cold winter’s day Jesus is at the temple in Jerusalem talking to a crowd of people and some of them asked Him “How long will you keep us in suspense? If you are the Messiah tell us plainly”
“I have told you and you do not believe..” Jesus says.
And then He goes on to speak about Himself as Shepherd.
“My sheep hear my voice, I know them and they follow me.”

How does this faith thing work?
Scripture tells us –
In faith Abraham obeyed when he was called to set out to a land God said He would show him!

A few weels ago. a young father, Mark Lawler, shared with us his experience of working with the poorest of the poor in Kwazakele teaching them life-giving skills – and he trusts God to provide for him family. Is this faith?

David, King of Israel, shares his understanding of faith through many Psalms he wrote, have a look at Psalm 23. But also enjoy this paraphrase of Psalm 23 –
“The Lord is my provider :
The Lord is everything to me and I am content with Him.
He carries my burdens and gives me rest.
He refreshes my aching body.
He cleans away the guilt from my life.
He teaches me the right way to live so that others will respect His name.
Even if I go through great darkness and hope is fading, I fear no evil powers.
You are stonger than them all.
Your grace and Your love protect me.
Even when the enemy is pressing hard You lighten my days with hope.
Your welcoming arms encircle me, I am overwhelmed by Your infinite care.
I am certain that Your love and goodness will surround me all my life and I will delight in worshipping You for ever.

I find these words helpful – as we read those words – how did you feel?

This sentence spoken by Jesus is key – and I don’t want you to miss what He is saying here –

“My sheep hear my voice, I know them and they follow me” Would’nt you expect Jesus to say my sheep follow me because they know me – but he says a remarkable thing, He says my sheep follow me because i know them.

An interesting truth for all of us is this :

One of our deepest longings and needs is to be known and understood and accepted at the deepest levels of our being. and there are those of us who would stand up right now and say – “Yes, that is a hugh struggle within me”. Well, there is such good news for us all.
Because friends, that is what Jesus offers to us. He knows you. He knows that you long to be understood in the deep places of who you are, and He invites us into that deep knowing.

David know this – the Lord is everything to me – Jesus knows what you need and this may surpirse you but it’s not the latest fashion item, we need God.

Is Jesus the centre of your life? And as His precious lamb, no one can take you from Him.

I seem to speak of God’s deep love for you and for me so often and I make no apology for it because this is key – you will begin to hear Jesus’ voice and know it – He speaks words of love, gentle words of belonging that will instill in you faith to follow Him. Then we won’t be part of the crowd asking – “Jesus if you are the Messiah then tell us plainly”.

When you know that He really loves you and knows you, life takes on new meaning.
We will notice our faith in jesus beginning to grow stronger.

“The Lord is everything to me and I am content with Him”.

let us know how you are feeling…...

Blessings for the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment