It's been a busy Holy Week. I have been humbled by the simple things that have happened. Powerful stories of people's experiences shared on pilgrimage on Wednesday morning. We wept together as we remembered.
And then the shared sense of unity and togetherness as we listened to the stories of families coming to terms with what it means to be a family in "For the Bible Tells me So". The movie shares the stories and experiences of 5 Christian families coming to terms with their gay or lesbian children.Someone said to me afterwards: "I used to be so arrogant to reject them!" What a moment of confession. But I responded: "No, we used to be so ignorant..." but that is changing!
I was moved by Jude Simpson's poem "Broken Open". Watch it here
I used the idea of being broken open... as the theme for my sermon on this Good Friday. You can read the full text of my sermon: here
Finally, i have celebrated the numbers of people who have prayerfully walked "The Way of the Cross" our 7 Stations of the Cross which recounted seven themes of Holy Week and invited people's response. This afternoon we will burn the papers nailed to a cross at Station 5, as an act of confession... and so the journey continues...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Thanks for posting the poem link.It played so quickly in church that i missed a lot of the content.i like the idea of having these kind of inserts and music inserts in sermons.powerfull message in the poem.
ReplyDeleteregards Slats