Suffer the little children to come unto me.....

I was sitting in Church on Sunday night and I noticed on the bottom of the marble baptismal font in the front of the church is written the words, “Suffer the little children to come unto me” (Jesus words from Mark 10:14 KJV), (I was listening to the preacher at the same time, I promise!) This verse stuck out for me because over the past weeks I have been storing and sorting all the collections of holiday club donations and am amazed at how much has come in. Also, this past Saturday afternoon, as many of you know, we hosted the Stageworld Production Company’s Pinocchio for families and as I was watching the children shout that there was a ‘baddie’ hiding behind a bush, it struck me that the innocence of children needs to be protected at all costs and their development and well being needs to be nurtured, and who is in a better position to do this than the church?

A few years ago someone told me; “Children and youth are not the church of the future, they are the church of today” and there are few organisations who see this and strive for holistic family growth where there is something engaging for the whole family, few places where children and young people are seen to be as important as adults and great amounts of effort put into their development. So I would like to take the opportunity to thank you as a congregation for putting children and young people high on St John’s list of areas of importance and encourage you to keep up the good work that Christ has started in this place. Without you, our mission as Christ followers and a ‘church in the city, for the city” would be a much poorer.

Please continue to pray for all the volunteers working in youth and children’s ministry here and for the upcoming Holiday Club.

God Bless
Brett

1 comment:

  1. Thats a touching piece that you wrote. Im a children's ministry educator and a wesley guild memeber and i know what a struggle it is to be in a category that needs recognition like the youth unit.

    ReplyDelete