in search of the authentic


last night we reflected on the value of Authenticity.

I remembered my ordination and the well-worn bible of one of the Bishops who was present at the service. While you can but worn-in jeans and worn-in golf shirts... you can't buy a "worn-in Bible". Bible's get worn in with use...

How do we embrace the value of Authenticity as a spiritual value?

I think that the bible word for Authenticity is Faithfulness. I believe that to live authentically, you have to be faithful in the journey. Superficiality judges too quickly and gives up too soon. Sharing and participating in an Authentic Community of Faith will require some committment to the difficulties related to that: if people are open and honest about the struggles they face and the darkness that lies within each person, we are going to have to confront some of that darkness! It's much easier, you see, to be part of a superficial community where we hide the stuff that's not "fashionable"...

I want to give myself to the value of Authenticity: both in my own personal growth - being as authentic with others as possible - and also in my participation in community - so that others are able to find a sense of safety to explore authenticity within the community of faith!

I've had some interesting emails/questions from the service - hope I can share some of them with you - jsut need to ask the people concnerned first...

2 comments:

  1. I am so excited; A new article! Good to have you back Barry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed, how healing it is when we are authentic. What freedom to know too that when we remaine faithfull in the journey we get opportunities to do better next time. It gives me such hope and encouragement to run the race.

    ReplyDelete