There is a song with the above words as a title. I would like to use it as a theme for this column. The line is very appropriate when I think of St. John’s and its people. It seems to me that you are always on my mind.
As a minister of our St. John’s community, I have the privilege of journeying with many people. I know a lot of our folk and am busy to get to know more of you more closely. For the last 2 years and 9 months, I have been sharing in our people’s joy and happiness, but also in their pain and sorrow. I mean it when I say that it is a great privilege for me to walk with people in this way, particularly the people I see often for counselling or visits.
I think of “my” people often. I sometimes think of you (not only at church) during my devotion time, my sermon preparation time, the time when I set out my appointments and plan my life or I think of you just randomly when I am in Pick `n Pay or at the Boardwalk or in bed. It seems as if our people have taken up a very special place in my heart. Our people form such a substantial part of my life, how can you not be on my mind often? To those who have been going through a particularly trying time and time of struggle – thank you for allowing me into your space and for letting me be there for you. It is very humbling to hold people’s hand when they are in the dark and when they tell you their secrets.
I am always worried about someone, always thinking about how that one is doing or whether so and so is out of hospital or if this one’s child is ok. As I think of those that come to mind, I whisper a little prayer for God’s healing and hope to surround that person whenever they are.
I also need to add that as I have shown compassion, kindness and care to people, I have also felt these returned to me. The generosity, warmth and support I have experienced at St. John`s have been very dear to me.
So now you know, that I think of you often. So, don’t be surprised if you are on my mind even as you read this…
May God bless you,
Bevan
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment