Embracing a life of learning

(notes on sunday's sermon by Carol Robb)

On Sunday 2nd April we looked at the value of “Choosing Learning” – a demonstration of humility and sincere curiosity.

During my time of preparation and after an impromptu discussion with Barry, I discovered the teaching of Jesus in Matthew 7:15-27 to be very helpful – read it in Eugene Peterson’s ‘The Message’ as well.

  • Humanity believes that knowledge is very important – we would not dream of not sending our children to school or university but getting spiritual food on Sundays – that is not really so important. Becoming part of a community of faith – let them choose that one day for themselves.

    But then why has humanity not become wise? Perhaps we need to ask ourselves – do we want to become wise?
  • Wisdom does not have to give long, involved explanations and unpack theories – its truth and vision in a nutshell, spoken not from the head only but spoken as the heat and the heart connect and are on the same page. Well, that’s Carol’s definition of wisdom. What do you think? Let me know.
  • Wisdom cause movement in the right direction. Jesus was like that in His teaching and those who had ear to hear – moved!
  • Are you a head or a heart person? Those who live with you probably know – ask them!
  • Living with wisdom means we need to get them to function together, perhaps a little more heart than head!
  • Try and get hold of Brennan Manning’s book Abba’s child – copies are available at our Upper room bookshop (corner Clyde and Rose Street). Brennan Manning says: “The engaged mind illuminated by truth awakens awareness. The engaged heart affected by love awakens passion. He goes on to say that when you integrate the mind and heart, you live in a state of passionate awareness – wisdom. Another definition – read the parable on page 119 in ‘Abba’s Child’, I think that it really helps us understand the concept of learning in the Kingdom of God. How do we get there? How is this possible for us? For you and for me?
  • We need to give God space in our lives so that He can hold us silently against His heart.
  • Join a home group, it might be scary but it is there that you can ask, think and learn together.

Carol would love to read your response to this sermon. Add your comments by clicking on "COMMENTS" below...

5 comments:

  1. wow, I'm sorry I missed hearing this sermon. But I was challenged this past week when Carol and I spoke about the ideas she had for the sermon. I realised that if I had been preaching, I would have been stressing the need to make space for the heart in the journey toward wisdom. She, on the other hand was stressing the need for Christians to use their heads! Important point!

    Which just goes to show a few things:
    1. It's so important to hear messages from different perspectives. Having Carol and others preach is an opportunity to "balance" my perspectives.
    2. It's not one or the other, but both! We need a balance between using our heads and using our hearts. Maybe that's a bit of what it means to say Jesus was both 100% human and 100% divine. Only a logical problem if you see these things (spiritual and physical) as opposites. In the same way, as long as we see head and heart as opposites - living in different worlds, we won't find the kind of "balance" we require.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not hear this sermon myself but have heard many positive comments from my home group. For me too it is most important that head and heart intersect - this is where true understanding is accomplished (on an individual basis).

    ReplyDelete
  3. is that then what "understanding" might mean...

    an integration of head and heart?

    ReplyDelete
  4. From an email I received from a member this week...

    THANK YOU so much for the website. I have wondered for @ least the past 6 years when St John's would have a website. Thank you for the sermon notes posted on the web - it is good to refresh one's thoughts daily - just a click of the mouse.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm really loving this website. I go to the 11am service but then it means I can always get hold of the other services sermons.

    This particular sermon got me thinking...We need to learn to listen to God's voice with our heartsand once the heart is burning with passion it can easily convince the mind- That really great wisdom hey Carol!

    ReplyDelete