
We invite you to share in a spiritual journey:
Monday: 7pm - 8pm "The Mockers"
Tuesday: 7pm - 8pm "The Soldiers"
Wednesday: 7pm - 8pm "The Family"
Thursday: 7pm -8pm Service of Shadows
(traditional Tenebrae - readings and candles)
Good Friday:
8am "Jesus speaks to the Father"
10am-11.30am "Seven words from the cross"
Easter Sunday:
Celebration and Remembrance services at 8am; 9.45am; 11am(Xhosa); 6pm
(Children are welcome!!!)
Preaching on The Soldiers was thought provoking. They were simply carrying out their duties, 'busy' with life, failing to notice the crucified Jesus hanging above them. We're racing to the middle of the year, half of 2006 will be gone. What about our 'busyness'? Do we fail to stop and look at the cross? I hope to be like the Centurion - although guilty, he stopped his busyness to consider the cross, and then declared 'surely this man was the Son of God!'.
ReplyDeleteMay we all linger at the foot of the cross to discover the passionate and powerful love of the One who won't let us go.
"The greatest love that anyone could ever know,
That overcame the cross and grave to find my soul
And 'til I see You face to face
And grace amazing takes me home
I'll trust in You...
I will live to love You
I will live to bring You praise
I will live a child in awe of You"
i really enjoyed your message last night.
ReplyDeletefrom our earlier discussion and also from your comments in the sermon, it seemed clear that you were preaching from your own life experience of wrestling with business.
i prefer preaching which acknowledges the struggle (and even a failure). rather than judged and condemned, i feel encouraged by the challenge!
After hearing Tim's sermon on busyness last nite a thought which I chatted with a friend came about...Could it be a bad idea to have a holy year instead?
ReplyDeleteIt's been amazing, the holy week! Only these 2 days gave me a chance to just stop at the end of the day and focus and actually spend time with the greatest love I've ever known
A most encouraging letter I received this morning:
ReplyDeleteTo Barry, Tim, Carol, Louis and to ALL who assisted you to make the Holy Week Services so special - the music, the choirs, the flower group and the Remembrance Cross, whcih was so deeply touching and a lovely thought.
Thank you all for the time spent in research and planning to make the Holy Week so deeply meaningful for our St John's community.
There is great hope for the future of St John's. I feel, as a senior member, an exciting new energy and enthusiasm moving amongst the members. It is so heart-warming to observe so many younger couples and youth participating in the many activities taking place.
Thank you all for a truly beautiful experience, which did express the diversity of St John's, and I'm sure that the threads of the live of our community will begin to join more closely together, so that we become a more caring, sharing, loving family...
From the staff, we really appreciate the encouragement!