
I think some people were a little shocked on Sunday when I suggested that believing in the Resurrection was not central to the Christian faith. I trust they started breathing again when I qualified myself by saying that it's Living the Resurrection that is at the heart of the Christian faith. Jesus died the way that he lived. He leads us into LIFE (and all it's fullness - Jn 10:10) precisely because he knows how to live well!
The Bible calls it being "raised with Christ". (Col 3:1) It means coming alive because we have been given the keys to life (Matt 16:19).
Preaching on sunday helped me to realise that we have a spirituality of serving, a spirituality of worship, a spirituality of prayer and bible reading... we have well developed spiritual practices for all of these "spiritual" things, but do we have a Spirituality of Life? Do we know what to do with out free time? Do we know how to enjoy life to the full (in the spirit of Christ)? Do we experience Jesus to be saying LIVE, WAKE UP, COME ALIVE...? (or do we more often imagine Jesus laying down the boundaries of an obedient life?)
Is it unfair to suggest that we more often experience Jesus (through the church) to be restricting rather than initiating.
I'm suggesting (when I speak of a spirituality of life) that when Jesus broke free of death he broke free to inspire freedom to live broadly, creatively, passionately and fully!
No comments:
Post a Comment