Giving thanks in all circumstances

I am conscious of a few people in the church who are going through very difficult times at the moment... A few people close to me who have lost loved ones. Others are struggling with depression. One must return to her home, where she was brutally attacked...

So how can we ask these people to "give thanks in all circumstances"? (1 Thessalonians 5:18)

I think that we should encourage people who are struggling, or going through difficult times to follow the example of David in the Psalms and be honest with God about how they are feeling.

Paul's invitation to "give thanks in all circumstances" is a call to a life lived in the Habit of Gratitude. Perhaps (and I only say perhaps) if we learn the Habit of saying thank you, and more importantly, the Habit of Giving Thanks to God - then when we walk through the dark valley, we will find that the Habit of Gratitude will carry us through...

Funny thing is - some of these people who are struggling are some of the most grateful people I know! Despite their difficulties, they find it in themselves to Give Thanks. They are an inspiration to me - and evidence that a life lived with Gratitude to God will have resources for the desert times...

No comments:

Post a Comment