As I reflected I realised that I'm not a very grateful person!
I have so much, yet am easily lured into a place of wanting more stuff...
I would really like to embrace the value of gratitude, and help me here, but could these thoughts be helpful as we try to become practical-
- If we could begin to really see who it is that loves us- that it is Jesus who loves us- and Jesus has all authority in heaven and on earth!If we could open our eyes in wonder and belief, and allow Jesus to become our very centre, that we would define our identity in Him and not in all the stuff we think will give us security.
- If we could spend more time responding to God's giving and not be so preoccupied with getting-maybe taking some time out just to" be" may help us see all the blessings that are part of our lives.
- Simply say thank you to God many times through the day!
I would really be interested to be in conversation with you about this subject as I long now to be a more grateful person, and let's learn from each other!
Hi Carol
ReplyDeleteYou're so right, we live our busy lives and don't take the time to look around us and see how grateful we should be. We're so fortunate, because no matter how difficult life becomes, there's always someone nearby who's in a far worse situation than ourselves.
Whilst listening to Barry the other evening, and again just now when I read your comments, I thought about the chorus of a song I remember from Sunday School (that's a blessing in itself that my memory has lasted for 40-odd years!). I've found the words to the whole song and have included them because they are just so appropriate and beautiful: -
COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS
Count your blessings
Name them one by one
Count your blessings
See what God has done
Count your blessings
Name them one by one
Count your many blessings
See what God has done
When upon life's billows
You are tempest tossed
When you are discouraged
Thinking all is lost
Count your many blessings
Name them one by one
And it will surprise you
What the Lord has done
Are you ever burdened
With a load of care
Does the cross seem heavy
You are called to bear
Count your many blessings
Every doubt will fly
And you will be singing
As the days go by
When you look at others
With their lands and gold
Think that Christ has promised
You His wealth untold
Count your many blessings
Money cannot buy
Your reward in heaven
Nor your home on high
So, amid the conflict
Whether great or small
Do not be discouraged
God is over all
Count your many blessings
Angels will attend
Help and comfort give you
To your journey's end
Count your blessings
Name them one by one
Count your blessings
See what God has done
Count your blessings
Name them one by one
Count your many blessings
See what God has done
God bless and have a wonderful week. Thanks for being an inspiration to us all.