i was challenged last night, by the conversation with Kevin and Mike. People who use a wheel-chair to get around are often called disabled, but as I listened to Mike talking about his experiences, I realised that Mike has developed such strong abilities in his life. For instance, many people feel insecure and unworthy to offer themselves for service within the community of faith - but Mike has understood that we are all a part of the Body of Christ - that we are all "ministers". what an important insight and a confident ability!
Kevin has developed abilities to cope with life that were an inspiration to me as I listened. Many people who struggle feel bitter and angry and ask "why me?" But Kevin has learned how to move past bitterness and blame. Instead of blaming God and remaining bitter, he loves God and reflects gratitude and patience.
So who is really disabled?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi
ReplyDeleteThe lesson that we received from Kevin and Mike was really powerful.
How many times do we moan about hair thats not straight enough or curly enough. We get angry at God for not having enough money for material things. We overlook the fact that we are blessed with so many other things (legs, arms, health etc.)
I was very touched by Kevin when he said: "why must he be bitter?". Wasn't it wonderful to hear Mike say: "If he doesnt do Gods work, who will?"
It's exciting to see that their physical disability did not stop them from working for God. Alot of us can learn a thing or two from those gentleman.
We are blessed to have people with such great faith in our community.
Regards,
Beryl
I find people who live with disabilities inspiring.
ReplyDeleteMost of the time we as so-called 'normal' people don't see them in our daily lives. In primary school spent some time at a school where i was exposed to other children who lived with various assorted disabilities and it was a really enriching experience - we as 'normal' healthy children learned to form friendships with them and in the process we developed a deep respect and understanding of people living with disabilities... This is something most people never encounter or learn, unless either they or a loved one become disabled themselves.
Because of this life enriching experience i don't fear those with disabilities, but can appreciate them as equals, human beings and friends. Thank you to those who spoke on sunday night. To me it was a testimony to faith, the strength and endurance of the human spirit and to the fact that all life is indeed precious.
I found Michael and Kevin's attitude towards others and life inspiring- what I could learn if my ears would really hear....
ReplyDeleteHi Carol
ReplyDeleteI admired your patience whilst talking to Kevin. You were truly listening. I would probably have helped him along and ended his sentences. Its amazing in how many way God speaks to us and teaches us.
We are so quick to think "AG SHAME POOR THING" When you listen to Kevin and Mike you have to ask yourself. Who is REALLY THE POOR THING?